Life + Arts Music

Drake matures in ‘If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late’

punga

Drake’s ‘If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late’ | Courtesy of Cash Money records

Drake hit a lyrical low with his verse on Nicki Minaj’s “Only,” as he tried to become what the public made him to be. “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late” is a monumental jump in his career, as he focuses on himself rather than what people view him as, making it his most mature, thoughtful music.

A midnight release via iTunes and his Twitter account, Drake dropped “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late” in a fashion similar to Beyoncé’s self-titled album,though his stunt didn’t generate the waves Beyoncé’s did.

Moving away from the money, cars and clothes theme in this album, Drake has evolved into a lyricist, reflecting on his relationship with his mother and the recent violence between innocent citizens and police officers.

Drake’s self-awareness has changed his view of himself — “Please don’t speak to me like I’m that Drake from four years ago.” The new angry Drake provides a canvas for more sincerity and less of a character.

Drake is constantly in the spotlight, and this album contrasts the endless memes about his soft. “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late” doesn’t set out to prove public perception wrong; he still has a heartfelt song, “Jungle,” in which he begs a woman to stay with him. But the album, overall, is a reflection of who he really is — the Drake not often seen on screen.

“You & The 6” is a synopsis of the therapeutic conversations Drake had with his mother. The song not only shows the strong bond between the two but also brings up the confusion he’s had with his public image. It is easily the most important track on the album as an explanation of why he has decided to shrug off his persona.