Activities & Organizations News

Culture Connect Week highlights diversity on campus

This week marks the Center for Diversity and Inclusion’s first Culture Connect Week, a series of programs and events highlighting diversity on campus. The center hopes to make the week an annual tradition.

“This week’s events spotlights just some of the various aspects of diversity and hosts events that are designed to help people connect with, and across, identities,” said Michael Crook, program coordinator for the center.

Events happening this week include a lecture on LGBT issues, a women’s panel and even a social dance. Crook said he is hopeful the week will be successful as far as attendance and engagement.

“(Students) will leave feeling engaged with one another on topics that affect us all but we don’t always talk about,” he said. “They’ll feel empowered about who they are and will hopefully learn something new about others.”

The ultimate goal for this week’s events is to reach as many students as possible and spread the word that the center is a new organization on campus accessible to students of all diversities, backgrounds and cultures.

“I think there is so much learning and growth that can happen here that simply can’t be done elsewhere,” Crook said. “ I want (students) to feel that UH loves each of the students and that every student belongs here and can grow here.”

Upcoming Culture Connect Week events:

Volunteer opportunities

• A volunteer program that helps provide water to children in Africa is scheduled for Wednesday at the Student Center Ballroom, followed by a wellness discussion that focuses on how health is different among various cultures hosted from 2:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. in the Skyline Room 223 of the Student Center South.
  • A “Color War” featuring a “night of interactive physical and mental games” will educate students about cultural fraternities and sororities from 7 to 9 p.m. in Bayou City Room 219 in the Student Center South.

Panels and Socials

• The center will host a collective panel of influential women Thursday for a discussion on their past experiences and sacrifices starting at 2 p.m.
  • A student coffee hour will connect with both international and domestic students to discuss Houston and what the city offers for entertainment from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. in Heights Room 224 of the Student Center South.
  • The week will conclude with salsa, hip-hop and two-step dance lessons, followed by an open dance social from 6 to 9 p.m on Thursday in the Houston Ballroom. Pizza and beverages will be provided.