Men's Basketball

Cougars grab second straight conference win

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_2380

Junior guard Jherrod Stiggers scored 17 points to co-lead the Cougars offense with junior forward Devonta Pollard to help the come back late in the game. | File Photo/The Cougar

The Cougars had another exciting finish as they took down their ACC rival Tulane Green Wave in an OT showdown Wednesday night inside Devlin Fieldhouse in New Orleans.

Junior forward Devonta Pollard and redshirt junior guard Jherrod Stiggers both scored 17 points to lead the Cougars to victory after the team fell behind at halftime and mounted a comeback late down the stretch.

Pollard was crucial at the free-throw line, finishing 9 of 10, including two to tie up the game and send it to overtime. He also scored Houston’s first six points in overtime to propel them to the 68-63 win, while junior guard Cavon Baker added 11 points.

In their final game on the road, the Cougars were able to clinch their third conference win, and second road win of the season. They also clinched their first win in OT as they were 0-3 this season.

The Cougars return to Hofheinz Pavilion for their final regular-season game against their AAC rival East Carolina Pirates at 3 p.m., Sunday.

Senior forward Mikhail McLean will be recognized as part of Senior Day activities prior to the start of the game.