Track & Field

Cougars finish strong at Texas Relays

Hoping to build upon Friday’s strong performance, the Cougar men’s and women’s track and field teams finished up the final day of the 88th Annual Nike Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays as they competed in the discus, 4×100 and 4×200 meter relays on Saturday in Austin.

Houston’s top performance of the day came from senior Justine Price in the discus. Price registered a throw of 51.11 meters on her third attempt of the competition, and her effort gained her the 24th best throw in the nation, according to TFRRS.org.

Houston also earned seventh place finish in the women’s 4×200 meter relay and an eighth place finish in the men’s 4×100 meter relay to conclude action from Austin. Tori Williams, Maureen Redmond, Kelli Hardnett and Brittany Kinney combined to run a 1:37.41 for the women, while LeShon Collins, James Arnett, Curtis Brown and Issac Williams of the men’s team finished the 400 meter relay in 40.14.

The Cougars put on a good showing in Austin, winning medals in several competitions and putting up personal records throughout. The Cougars look to build on this success when they travel to Rice University to compete in the Rice Victor Lopez Bayou Classic. The meet will be held Friday, April 3 and Saturday, April 4 at Holloway Field and Ley Track.