Activities & Organizations News

UH chapter of Habitat for Humanity strives to bring community together

habitat for humanity

Members of the UH chapter of Habitat for Humanity work on building a house in the community. | Courtesy of Habitat for Humanity at UH

The 33 members of the UH chapter of Habitat for Humanity are about to celebrate the anniversary of their first year on campus. The organization applied last April to be registered as a student organization at UH and became an official Habit for Humanity International chapter over the summer.

Habitat for Humanity’s mission is to provide low-income families with affordable housing, pulling members from all colleges across campus to help achieve this.

“Since we are a new organization and… many of us (are) first-time officers, we have been testing the waters with small events on campus and working with larger organizations to promote our organization and mission,” said Christine Nguyen, vice president of the chapter.

The organization has participated in six Habitat for Humanity-sponsored builds where they help to create these houses for low-income families.

“Our huge plan for the future is to design and build a new Habitat house completely by the hands of the students in Spring 2016,” Nguyen said. “We are working closely with several colleges, and they have all been very supportive and are helping us every step of the way.”

The group will need to raise upwards of $100,000 for property and materials to build the house. Fundraisers from the College of Engineering and the Honors College have helped the organization with raising funds.

habitat for humanity

Members of Habitat for Humanity at UH. | Courtesy of Habitat for Humanity at UH

The organization has held some fundraising and social events – including dinner at Café 101 – and are planning a water balloon fight this fall that was previously cancelled due to weather.

“In this short time we’ve been an organization, we have seen a huge amount of progress and support from the campus,” Nguyen said.

“We still have a long way to go, but we are confident that we will continue to gain growing support from more students, faculty and professionals around Houston.”

Those interested in becoming a member of Habitat for Humanity at UH must pay $25 per semester or $40 for the year.  Members receive priority sign-up for builds and a T-shirt.