Baseball

Cougars set for big series after win over Bears

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_4552

Junior Josh Vidales (red) has lead the Cougars through the season so far as he is currently on a 32-game on-base streak. | File Photo/The Cougar

The No. 14 Cougars picked up a dominant 11-0 road win over the Baylor Bears on Tuesday and moved to 20-9 on their young season leading up to an Easter weekend series in Tennessee.

The Cougars look to improve their 1-2 American Athletic Conference record as they stay on the road for a series with the Memphis Tigers. Although the team isn’t on any kind of streak, individual players are riding ones that they hope will carry them over the Tigers this weekend.

Junior first baseman Chris Iriart is on an 11-hit streak and a 14-game on-base streak, freshman shortstop Connor Wong is on a 15-game on-base streak and junior second baseman Josh Vidales leads the group with a 32-game on-base streak. Other notable marks are junior outfielder Kyle Survance’s conference-leading 19 stolen bases and freshman Zac Taylor’s 12 stolen bases.

The Cougars hosted a three-game series against the Tigers last season that leaned in their favor as they picked up two wins (6-3, 6-2) to counteract their one 2-1 loss. A big part of the series was their veteran pitching staff. Even with younger arms this time, the Cougars hope to have a similar result beginning with Thursday’s game.

The series opener will start at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, as will the Friday game, and the Sunday finale is set to start at noon.