Baseball

Cougars look to bounce back against Ragin Cajuns

Junior first baseman Chris Iriart has been a constant threat to opponents of the Cougars this season and hopes to ride his 14-game hit streak into Tuesday’s game. | File Photo/The Cougar

Coming off a tough two-loss conclusion to their road series with the Memphis Tigers, the Cougars look to bounce back in a non-conference game against the Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin’ Cajuns on Tuesday.

The Cougars were plagued with errors and slow to get going against the Tigers in their last two games. The first game, a 14-6 loss, saw the Tigers come out fast with an eight-run first inning, and the second game, a 6-2 loss, was finished off with a Tiger comeback after taking advantage of four errors.

Through the end of the series, many of the Cougars’ individual streaks would end. Junior second baseman Josh Vidales totaled a huge 33-game on-base streak and freshman shortstop Connor Wong reached 17 in the same category.

Both streaks ended against Memphis, but junior first baseman Chris Iriart enters Tuesday’s game against the Ragin’ Cajuns with a 14-game hit streak and a 17-game on-base streak. Junior outfielder Kyle Survance still leads the conference in stolen bases with 19.

The Cougars have been on the road for seven straight games and play their eight on Tuesday as they travel to Louisiana.