Softball

Cougars hit the road for top-10 matchup

The Cougars are on a four-game losing streak but, with strong performances throughout, look to turn things around against the Ragin’ Cajuns on Wednesday. |Bittaney Penney/The Cougar

The Cougars are set for a midweek game at 6 p.m. on Wednesday against the No. 9 Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin’ Cajuns, marking the ninth time this season that Houston will face a top-25 team.

The Cougars face a tough challenge with the Ragin’ Cajuns as the series history points toward Louisiana-Lafayette 16-6. The last time the two teams met saw the Cougars falling in a doubleheader with scores of 9-1 and 10-5. The Cougars are also looking to break their four-game losing streak after they were swept in last weekend’s series against the No. 17 Knights.

The Cougars have shown strong signs in the recent past, however, as senior outfielder Sydney Gerbracht hit her second triple of the season, a 2-RBI knock, to score the team’s only two wins against the Knights. Senior shortstop joins Gerbracht with an important stat as she is the hardest player to strike out in the conference and ranks second in the nation.

The Cougars overall are off to an otherwise great start to the season as they lead the conference and rank second in the nation for double plays turned with 25. Three more double plays, and the Cougars will tie the school record for double plays turned in a season.

After the Cougars finish their game against the Ragin’ Cajuns, the team will return home for a conference series against the UConn Huskies on Saturday and Sunday.