Baseball

Cougars set to rebound against Bearcats

Sophomore pitcher Andrew Lantrip took the reigns for Friday's game and picked up the win after throwing 6.2 innings and allowing three runs on sven hits.  |  Sarah Hoffman/The Cougar

After the Owls scored 11 runs against them on Tuesday, the Cougars look to come back stronger with sophomore starter Andrew Lantrip against the Cincinnati Bearcats this weekend. | File Photo/The Cougar

The Cougars are coming off back-to-back losses against the Tulane Green Wave and the Rice Owls and hope to turn things around this weekend with a three-game series against the Cincinnati Bearcats.

The Rice offensive outing was too much for the midweek staff of Houston pitchers, but the Cougars will see the return of sophomore start Andrew Lantrip this weekend. Lantrip has been one of the most consistent performers for the Cougars this season and currently leads the staff in wins with six.

Starting every game so far, junior first baseman Chris Iriart has been big for the Cougars’ offense as he leads the team with a .351 batting average and 47 hits, including 11 home runs in 37 games. Iriart looks to continue leading the Cougars against the Bearcats’ pitching staff averaging 5.52 ERA.

The Cougars take the field against the Bearcats at 6:30 p.m. on Friday and Saturday and finish the series with the finale at noon Sunday.