Baseball

UH seals sweep over Cincinnati on Sunday

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_0612

Picking up his fourth win of the season, freshman pitcher Seth Romero struck out seven on his way to the Cougars’ 9-2 victory. | Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

The concept is a simple one: Play three games against your opponent, and win all three. Easy in theory, uncommon in application. In the right moment, UH pulled off the feat, taking three of three from Cincinnati and moving to 26-14 overall and 7-5 in conference play.

“It feels great,” said second baseman Josh Vidales. “It gives us momentum going into the next game on Tuesday at McNeese State while also giving us momentum going into the next conference game.”

UH head coach Todd Whitting said he was pleased with his squad’s performance and noted the importance of the timing.

“It’s big. You have the chance to gain ground in conference play. That’s the challenge I put on the team this weekend… to win all three games to put ourselves in a good shot to win this. We needed a sweep,” Whitting said. “Every conference game is important. We just have to keep working hard and playing hard.”

Despite the presence of Ian Happ in their lineup, Cincinnati could not form any offensive output.

“It’s a great feeling, but I think it goes to the hitters, too,” Vidales said.  “Putting up runs and giving them the confidence to go out there and throw every pitch for a strike.”

Junior Chris Iriart, who hit his 13th home run of the season on Sunday, pointed out that the momentum gained from the series was something they hoped to build on.

“It makes us feel great rolling into where we are in the season,” Iriart said. “Postseason is right around the corner, and we’re trying to make it there. But most importantly, we’re looking to win on Tuesday and sweep the next series.”