Track & Field

Cougars out to perform at separate events

As outdoor track season makes its way toward the conference meet, the Cougars split up, traveling to both the Penn Relays in Philadelphia from April 23 to April 25, while the remainder of the team will compete in the J. Fred Duckett Twilight Invitational on April 25 at Rice University.

Sophomore Bria Carter and seniors Kiersten Brewer, Sade-Mariah Greenidge and Brittany Kinney got the Cougars off to a good start Thursday, running a 46.38 to finish sixth in the preliminary rounds.

Greenidge continued her big day by individually posting fifth place in the 400m hurdles, clocking in at 1:00.17 to begin the Penn Relays for the Cougars.

Personal records were set all around. In the field events, freshman Tony Burks set a personal best in the women’s long jump with a leap of 5.55m, while junior distance runner James Broussard continued the trend in the 3000m steeplechase with a seventh place finish in 9:13.32.

Friday’s events ended with the Cougars qualifying four individuals and one relay team for the finals on Saturday.

The Cougar men’s 4x200m relay team, juniors LeShon Collins, James Arnett, and Issac Williams and sophomore Curtis Brown were the first Cougars to qualify for the finals after posting a fifth place 1:24.84.

The Cougars weren’t done. Hurdles Sade-Mariah Greenidge and Issac Williams kept the ball rolling. Greenidge finishing fifth (13.55) in the 100m hurdles and Williams placing sixth (13.84) in the 110m.

Saturday’s action at the Penn Relays begins at approximately 12:37 p.m. CT, with the men’s 4x100m relay. Houston will also see action tomorrow in the Rice J. Fred Duckett Twilight Invitational.