Golf

Cougars enter day two of championships in third

Freshman Roman Robledo made an impact for UH in the fall. He finished tied for fourth at the Lonestar Invitational and shot the third-best average round for the Cougars in the fall (73.25).   |  Courtesy of UH Athletics

Senior All-American Roman Robledo led the Cougars through day one of the AAC Championships with an overall score of 142.  |  File Photo/The Cougar

The Houston men’s golf team had a solid day one showing at the American Athletic Conference Championships on Sunday as they finished the first round five-under-par with a team score of 283 and trailed the leading No. 18 USF Bulls by 16, with an overall score of 573.

A threat of inclement weather led to the tournament having 36 holes on Sunday as opposed to the originally scheduled 18. The increase in holes was no problem for the Cougars, however, as senior Roman Robledo shot two-under par with a score of 142 to tie for sixth after 36 holes.

Ten birdies and an eagle allowed Robledo to reach his top-10 spot, and just outside of the range were freshman Alan De Bondt and senior Kyle Pilgrim, who tied each other for 11th place with individual scores of 143.

Closing out the competition for the Cougars were the finishes of sophomore Matt Scobie and junior Vincent Martino in 25th and 33rd with scores of 149 and 151, respectively.

The AAC Championships continue and conclude on Monday as the Cougars are set to finish their 54-hole run and will learn their fate concerning the NCAA postseason during the selection show on May 4.