Events Life + Arts Uncategorized

Student Program Board to bring music festival vibe to UH

The approach of finals guarantees anxiety for students, so the Student Program Board is bringing the South by Southwest vibe to UH in its first South by UH, which will run from 4 p.m. to midnight Wednesday in Lynn Eusan Park.

“Me and the concert chair got together, and we saw that our events were kind of similar, so we decided to go ahead and bring that component to the University,” said Beatriz Torres, SPB Special Events Chair.

The idea was first brought up last year, and SxUH came to fruition in just one semester, around February or March, Torres said.

“Originally, we had planned for the three-day event to be continuous, but because of the weather we had to break it up,” Torres said.

The music festival and InfraRED, postponed to Wednesday night, will be filled with live music from student performers, ranging from bands and DJs to rappers.

“It was a matter of reaching out to different organizations and seeing if they were interested in helping us out,” Torres said. “For the film aspect, it only made sense to go to the Student Video Network. In-house, we took care of the entertainment and music portion.”

In addition to live music, students can also participate in carnival games, grab free food and get henna tattoos. There will also be a booth where students can take pictures to put on custom-made vinyl records.

“I hope that students get to see a different experience,” Torres said. “It’s an opportunity to experience their fellow students performing music, and it just gives them a good way to relieve their stress before finals.”