Yurachek named new athletic director

Yurachek

Yurachek was named Under Armour FCS Athletic Director of the Year in May of 2014. | Courtesy of UH Athletics

The season of changes continues today for the Houston Cougars, as Hunter Yurachek was named UH’s new vice president for intercollegiate athletics and athletic director.

Yurachek joined the University in February 2014 as the associate vice president and chief operating officer for the athletic department. Yurachek was also the only internal candidate under consideration for the replacement of former AD Mack Rhoades.

“Hunter Yurachek is the best leader and administrator for where we are and where we are going,” said UH President Renu Khator in a news release. “He brings both a fresh perspective and a keen understanding of our strengths and opportunities.”

While at Houston, Yurachek oversaw the grand opening events for TDECU Stadium last fall and worked closely with Rhoades and Cougar Pride to secure the 10-year, $15 million-naming right for the stadium.

“I want to thank President Khator, Chairman Fertitta and the entire Board of Regents for this tremendous opportunity,” Yurachek said at his introductory press conference. “It is an honor to accept this position, and it will be a privilege to serve the student athletes, coaches and the entire University of Houston community in this role.”

Before joining UH, Yurachek held positions at the University of Virginia, Western Carolina University, Vanderbilt University and Wake Forest University.

Most recently, he served as the athletic director at Coastal Carolina University for four years.

During his tenure with Coastal Carolina, the university captured 29 Big South Championships, both regular season and tournament, as well as made 30 NCAA post-season appearances.

For his work at Coastal, Yurachek was named the 2014 Under Armour FCS Athletic Director of the Year in May 2014.

Tillman Fertitta expressed his confidence in the abilities of UH’s new AD.

“He’s the best man for the job.”