Baseball Sports

Offense falters as Cougars fall to Tulane

After coming off a victory against the Sam Houston Bearkats on Tuesday, the Houston Cougars got washed out by the Tulane Green Wave with a 3-1 loss in the first game of the series in New Orleans, dipping their overall record to 30-16 and to 9-7 in the American Athletic Conference.

Starting pitcher Andrew Lantrip would pitch six innings, allowing eight hits, three runs and two errors, while striking out 10. With the loss, Lantrip now has a 6-3 record.

Offense was at a premium on the night, as both teams were scoreless through the first four innings of play.

During the top of the fifth, however, the Cougars managed to pick up momentum in the form of freshman shortstop Connor Wong with a single to center field.

The Green Wave, however, rallied back with a run of their own in the bottom of the sixth against Lantrip.

With Tulane not letting off the pedal, the momentum seemed to slip out of Houston’s grip as the Green Wave scored two more runs in the bottom of the seventh with Lantrip still on the mound before being relieved by sophomore right-hander Marshall Kasowski.

Houston has a chance to bounce back against Tulane in the second game of the series Saturday afternoon. First pitch is set for 2 p.m.