Baseball Sports

Cougars brave Green Wave as Houston wins fourth straight series

Esteban Portillo/The Daily Cougar

Ian Rice had a strong day from the plate, going 3-for-4 with 3 RBI’s as the Cougars topped the Green Wave, 7-1. | File photo/The Cougar

Houston beat out Tulane on Sunday, 7-1, behind the strong pitching of freshman Seth Romero and the offensive production of junior catcher Ian Rice.

In the weekend capper to the three-game series, Houston pulled out the win on the road to record their fourth straight series win.

Romero pitched well for UH, continuing a trend of good pitching performances, as the starters went a combined 3-1 over the past week.

For the afternoon, Romero struck out six batters, while allowing just five hits and one earned run in 8.1 innings of work.

On the offensive side, Rice had a three-hit day, driving in three runs, while also drawing a walk and crossing the plate himself.

Freshman outfielder Corey Julks also had himself a strong afternoon on offense, going three-for-four as well, with one RBI.

Freshman relief pitcher Aaron Fletcher closed out the game for Houston, pitching two-thirds of an inning, allowing just one hit, while striking out one and getting the team out of a tough situation with runners on.

Houston faced a total of eight Tulane pitchers on the day, but found a way to consistently push the runners across the plate.

Romero now improves to 6-3 on the year, improving upon what has already been a strong freshman season.

Houston’s record now sits at 32-16 overall and 11-7 in the American Athletic Conference, putting them in a tie for first-place with the East Carolina University Pirates.

The Cougars will face-off against ECU at home in a three-game series from May 8-10, after facing McNeese State in a one-game outing on the fifth at Cougar Field.