Softball Sports

Softball caps off season on high-note as Cougars down Tigers

UHSoftballvUCF_byEstebanPortillo_2_pageready

Houston finished their regular season in fantastic fashion as the Cougars won the final game of the series over Memphis, 6-1.  |  File Photo/The Cougar

Houston softball bounced back to grab a win over Memphis by a score of 6-1 on Sunday in their final game of the season.

Junior pitcher Julana Shrum threw well again in her second outing of the series, pitching seven shutout innings and allowing just four hits while striking out four, with the only run coming thanks to an error by Houston.

The Cougars started the game off right, putting up all six runs of the day in the first inning.

Junior outfielder Katie St. Pierre started the action with a single, followed by a bunt-for-hit by freshmen outfielder Kaylin Crumpton.

Senior infielder Selena Hernandez loaded the bases when she drew a walk, and the first two runs crossed the plate as both sophomore pitcher Shelby Miller and junior catcher Courtney Klingler drew base-loaded walks.

Senior outfielder Tiffani McKnight tallied the first two RBI of the day by doubling into right field, and was scored thanks to a single by senior infielder Kayla Holland.

The Tigers tried to mount a rally in the bottom of the sixth inning thanks to a pair of base hits and a fielding error by the Cougars, but the strong pitching of Shrum kept Memphis in-check.

With the win, Houston now sits at 27-26 for the season and 10-7 in the AAC, placing them third in the conference.

Shrum also now sits at 12-10 overall, and with the shutout today, now has 13 appearances without allowing a score.

Coming up, Houston will prepare for the American Athletic Conference Championship in Orlando. The tournament will being on May 7, as the Cougars again square off with the Tigers.