Life + Arts Spring Finals Edition

Spring retrospective: A look at the semester

At the end of the semester, it’s easy to see only the dim season of finals ahead. Taking a glance at the months behind brings a healthy reminder of the highlights from the Spring. From celebrating one of the university’s longest-standing traditions, to ushering out another Cougar class, this semester has taken leaps both academically and culturally.

Jan. 27 — MLK Day of Service

Alongside Americans across the country, students, faculty and other UH representatives celebrated the life and work of Martin Luther King, Jr. throughout the month. The ceremony and service event aligned with MLK’s ideals, as the surrounding Houston area flooded with volunteers working to better the community.

March 26-28 — Frontier Fiesta

A landmark event at UH, Frontier Fiesta took place at TDECU Stadium for the first time and drew large crowds. With headlining performers Kristian Bush, Cher Lloyd and ScHoolboy Q, the festival boasted three nights of music and fun for thousands of students.

March 9 — Student Government Association elections

The 52nd Administration of SGA has begun with former Speaker of the Senate Shaun Smith at the helm. After drama in the run-off elections when Elisha Diaz — Smith’s opponent from The “We” Party II, secretly recorded a conversation between himself and Smith’s vice president, Tanzeem Chowdhury, Diaz withdrew, paving the way for Smith and Chowdhury to take over.

April 7 — Wolffest 2015

Acting as a competition and a fund-raiser, Wolffest brought seven student-run food stands to the walkways of M.D. Anderson Library. The goal of each undergraduate-run stand was to beat the other stands, and to raised money for the Wolff Center for Entrepreneurship.

Jan. 29 — Matthew McConaughey hired as commencement speaker

The university announced Academy Award-winner Matthew McConaughey as the University’s first commencement ceremony speaker at TDECU Stadium. The University announced McConaughey’s fee — $135,000, at the end of March.