Softball Sports

Cougars fall in conference semifinals

UHSoftballvUCF_byEstebanPortillo_2_pageready

Houston entered the fourth inning with a two-run lead, but saw Tulsa score five unanswered runs to take the semifinal game. 5-2. | File photo/The Cougar

Houston softball suffered a tough loss at the hands of Tulsa on Friday, falling in the conference tournament semifinals by a score of 5-2.

Houston jumped out to the early lead in the top of the third inning when freshman left-fielder Kaylin Crumpton safely reached first, thanks to a fielder’s choice.

Senior shortstop Selena Hernandez drove a double down the line in left, moving Crumpton to third.

With two runners in scoring position, starting pitcher Shelby Miller came to the plate and helped her own cause, driving in two RBI with a base hit into right field.

Houston held onto the lead for one inning, until Tulsa responded in the bottom of the fourth.

A double into the outfield helped Tulsa to grab some momentum, followed by a pass ball and throwing error to notch the first run for the Golden Hurricanes.

The offense exploded for Tulsa in the bottom of the fifth, as they tallied five of the teams nine hits on the day to drive in three more runs and force Miller out of the game.

Junior pitcher Julana Shrum came in as the relief pitcher, but the Cougars couldn’t come back from the three-run deficit.

For Houston, Miller would take the loss, moving to 7-10 on the season as Houston’s record would fall to 28-27 overall.