Life + Arts Profile

From middle to medical school, graduates continue their 11-year education streak

Varun Potluri | Karis Johnson/The Cougar

Varun Potluri muffles a laugh as Christopher Huyn rolls his eyes, both friends remembering one of the many hilarious — or embarrassing — moments they’ve shared over the past 11 years.

Potluri and Huyn have gone to the same school since sixth grade. On Sunday, they will walk the stage together before both continuing their education at Baylor College of Medicine.

The soon-to-be graduates spoke to The Cougar about the years they’ve spent together as students, and both realize the incredible opportunities they have for the future and the unique chance to experience it with a life-long friend.

The Cougar: When did each of you find out you were accepted into Baylor College of Medicine?

Varun Potluri: I received it through the high school program, and he got in the traditional way.

Christopher Huyn: I knew he was in like four years ago! I found out about 2 or 3 weeks ago.

TC: Was it a celebrating moment when you guys found out you were both going to medical school together?

Potluri: Well not really, because we all knew Chris was going to make it.

Huyn: I didn’t know that!

TC: What do you want to do individually after medical school?

Christopher Huyn | Karis Johnson/The Cougar

Potluri: I’m looking for more of a 9 to 5, chill lifestyle.

Huyn: I’m not really sure right now. Everything is kind of up in the air. From what I’ve been told by multiple med students, whatever you go in wanting to do will change by the time you’re done.

TC: Who would you say is the smarter one?

Huyn: It depends on the subject…

Potluri: And I don’t think we’ve ever had the same classes.

Huyn: Yeah, the most we ever had was when I sat in on his organic chemistry classes freshman year. Besides that, we haven’t even had labs together!

TC: Having gone to school together for 11 years, what would you say is the best thing about having a friend with you for so long?

Potluri: Definitely seeing them change a lot. I mean, you really get to see them grow up. But then you also know their personality is basically the same. I don’t think either of us have changed very much!

Huyn: It’s like you have this certain skeleton or framework, and just get to add to it. But the heart is the same.

Potluri: Exactly.

Huyn: When you have 11 years of history, you can always reach out. It’s always good knowing you have someone who you’ve had all of these experiences and spent so much time with.