Sports Track & Field

Houston track and field prepare for outdoor finals

Both underclassmen, LeShon Collins and Cameron Burrell are pushing each other to be better sprinters. | Courtesy of UH Athletics

The Houston Cougars placed four sprinters into the Men’s 100m dash finals with solid times in Saturday’s qualifying. | File photo/The Cougar

Houston track and field wrapped up the final day of qualifying for many of their events in Storrs. Conn., with seven more athletes earning their place in the finals.

Four Cougars qualified for the finals in the 100m dash, with juniors LeShon Collins, Issac Williams and James Arnett, as well as sophomore Xavier Floyd grabbing a spot in the medal round.

Senior Jermaine Fyffe qualified for the 400m with a 48.6-second performance, while Williams posted the fastest qualifying speed in the 110m hurdles.

On the women’s side, Sade Mariah Greenidge posted the top time in the 100m hurdles, earning a spot in the Sunday finale.

In the first day of scored jumping events for UH, Houston athletes would score points in all three events they competed in.

The Cougars managed a third place finish in the men’s high jump, a third and fifth place finish in the men’s long jump,  as well as eighth in women’s long jump.

Junior Selene Sierra placed fourth in the women’s 3000m steeplechase and junior James Broussard placed eighth for the men in the same event.

Houston heads into the final day of the outdoor conference championship sitting in sixth place on the men’s side and the women sit seventh.

Field events for the AAC Championships begin at 9 a.m., with men’s shot put starting the morning, while the track events will being with the men’s and women’s 4x100m relays at 10 a.m.