Baseball Sports

Houston offense explodes against Memphis at conference tournament

feature UHBASEBALL-Catherine-Lara-2

Houston had a record-setting day at the plate, recording tournament highs in both hits, with 24, and runs, with 17, in their 17-3 win over Memphis. | File photo/The Cougar

The Cougars advanced to the AAC Championship game after hanging 24 hits on Memphis on Saturday in their 17-3 win in Clearwater, Fla.

The No. 14 Cougars had two innings where they registered five runs to highlight a fantastic offensive performance.

Freshmen left-fielder Corey Julks and shortstop Conner Wong led the offense for Houston on the day, each registering five hits on six plate appearances with a combined 11 RBI.

The two underclassmen also combined to score six runs while recording no strikeouts.

Additionally, all nine Houston batters registered at least one hit on the day, with five of the nine recording three or more hits.

With 24 hits, Houston now holds the tournament record for most hits in a single game, while also setting an AAC Conference tournament-record for runs scored.

Red-shirt junior and starting-pitcher Kyle Dowdy went the distance for Houston, pitching eight innings of three-run baseball, striking out two while allowing three walks.

With the win, Dowdy now sits at 9-2 on the year with a 2.62 ERA in 11 starts.

The victory came by way of the run rule for Houston, after the game was called in the eighth inning.

With the win, Houston improves to 42-17 on the year, having notched back-to-back 40-win seasons for the first time since the 1999 and 2000 seasons.

UH has also won their last eight games and 19 of their last 22 competitions.

The Cougars now also advance to their second straight Championship game appearance.

Houston will face off with the winner of ECU-UConn on Sunday at 11 a.m. in the final game of the AAC Tournament.

• Congrats Coogs on beating Memphis now you are one game from repeating as AAC Tournament champions and then making a strong case to HOST a regional!!!! I so appreciate this coaching staff and players representing UH!!!!