Wife of Hall-of-Fame Houston coach passes away

GuyVLewis_byNichole_pageready_25

Guy V. and Dena Lewis were fixtures at Houston during and after his career, helping to develop the Cougars basketball program and the campus. | File photo/Nichole Taylor/The Cougar

Dena Lewis, wife of legendary Houston basketball coach Guy V. Lewis, passed away Tuesday.

Dena Nelson and Guy V. Lewis first met in high school during the 1930’s and their relationship grew from there.

Mrs. Lewis became a fixture in Hofheinz Pavilion during her time with Houston, which spanned 1956 to 1986.

During his Hall-of-Fame career at UH, Lewis led Houston to 27 straight winning seasons, 14 seasons with 20 or more wins, and 14 trips to the NCAA Tournament, advancing to the Final Four on five occasions and twice to the NCAA Championship, while capturing six conference titles.

“We extend our thoughts and prayers to Coach Lewis, his sons, family and friends,” Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics Hunter Yurachek said in a press release.

“I do not believe Coach Lewis could have taken the University of Houston Men’s Basketball program to the heights it reached during his career without the love and support of Dena through the years,” Yurachek said. “She was a wonderful wife and mother and a loyal friend of Houston Athletics, and we will miss her deeply.”

June 27 would have marked Dena Lewis and her husband’s 73rd wedding anniversary. Dena is survived by her husband and two sons, Terry and Vern, among other family.

Both Dena and Guy V. Lewis had a huge impact on the University and the basketball program, and are remembered not only in the history books, but around campus, in such places as the Dena and Guy V. Lewis Azalea Garden on the edge of campus, located on Cullen Boulevard.