Celebrating the 150th anniversary of Juneteenth

Juneteenth-US_Congresswoman_Sheila_Jackson_calls_for_national_holiday-2003-06-19

Serving as the U.S. Representative for Texas’ 18th Congressional District, which includes much of inner-Houston, Shelia Jackson Lee called for Juneteenth to be celebrated as a national holiday back in 2003. | Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

This year marks the 150th anniversary of Juneteenth, a celebration of the Emancipation Proclamation, and there are lots of festivities in the Houston area for family and friends to come together this weekend.

Although the Proclamation was finalized in January 1, 1863, it was not implemented in Texas until June of 1865.

“It was the last place they told slaves that they could receive wages for their work,” said Kijana Wiseman, chairperson of the Juneteenth Emancipation Celebration in the Third Ward.

“It’s a celebration of the true American independence day where we all became free.”

June 19

Juneteenth Festival at Project Row Houses

Stop by at 3 p.m. for a Black Lives Matter Stepshow and panel discussion. If ball is life, make sure to attend the basketball tournament at 5 p.m.

2505-2517 Holman St. Houston, TX 77004

Family Funday in the Park at Hunters Glen Park
Bring your siblings of all ages for free rides, games and entertainment, starting at 6 p.m. Make sure to bring some spare change to grab a snack, and stay until the sun sets for a movie the whole family can enjoy.

1340 Independence Missouri City, TX 77459

Houston’s Juneteenth Celebration at Miller Outdoor Theatre
Bring a blanket and groove to the blues with Jewel Brown, Trudy Lynn and Steve Krase and The Peterson Brothers at 7 p.m. Tickets are available at the box office for free.

6000 Hermann Park Drive Houston, TX 77030

June 20

Juneteenth Parade, 10 a.m.
There will be marching bands, dancers, floats, motorcycles and more. Stick around to see the Black McDonald’s Owners Association donate 100 bicycles to local children of the Boy and Girls Club. Following this act of philanthropy, there will be live music, poetry and singing by professionals and community members.

From Texas Southern University Gym to the corner of Holman and Live Oak

One Mile of Smiles parade, 7 p.m.
Marvel at the decorative floats as they throw out candy beads and other swag. Dance to the beat of marching bands and follow the parade to Thurgood Marshall High School, where there will be a battle of the bands afterward.

Texas Parkway FM 2234 Missouri City, TX 77459