Students support ruling on same-sex marriage

rainbow, flag, pride

The U.S. Supreme Court decided Friday morning that the ban on gay marriage is unconstitutional. | File Photo/The Cougar

With a day to go before Pride festivities take place across the country, the U.S. Supreme Court deemed the ban on same-sex marriage unconstitutional. While the five to four decision leaves the court divided, students on campus Friday saw the ruling as a victory.

“I think it’s a good thing. (It’s) a great success for the U.S., moving forward and progressing,” said freshman computer science major Ian Fennen, who is gay.

But some are shocked the decision didn’t come sooner.

“It’s 2015 already. Why do we care who gets married to who?” said computer engineering technology freshman Anthony Lopez.  “It’s not our business, it’s their business. Why should we stand in the way of what they want to do with their life?”

Students aren’t the only ones who support the decision, with some staff members echoing their sentiments and building on them as well.

“This decision gives people the opportunity to be equal in the eyes of the law,” said Devan Ford, director of the Women and Gender Resource Center at UH.

“I wish I could say there would be no backlash, but I’ve already been on social media and seen that there is.”

In a statement released Friday, Gov. Greg Abbott shared his disapproval of the decision.

“The Supreme Court has abandoned its role as an impartial judicial arbiter and has become an unelected nine-member legislature,” said Gov. Greg Abbot in the statement.

“As I have done in the past, I will continue to defend the religious liberties of all Texans — including those whose conscience dictates that marriage is only the union of one man and one woman.”

Early Friday morning, county clerks’ offices in the state  moved forward in the wake of the ruling.

In an interview with the Texas Tribune, Travis County Clerk Dana DeBeauvoir said the county attorney reviewed the decision and marriage licenses would be issued that morning.

While people lined up in Travis County for marriage licenses, Harris County officials approached the decision differently.

Harris County Clerk Stan Stanart told KPRC 2 News Friday that his office was waiting to receive new forms from Attorney General Ken Paxton’s office before it would begin granting licenses.

However, Harris County Attorney Vince Ryan sent a letter to Stanart requesting that he issue the licenses.

“Our opinion is that the law requires that you immediately begin to issue marriage licenses to all qualified applicants without regard to gender.”

In a Facebook post, Mayor Annise Parker celebrated the court’s decision.

“Marriage is about love, commitment and family. Couples who make that commitment deserve to be respected under law, with the full legal protections that accompany a marriage license,” she said.