Baseball Sports

Romero named to All-American team for third time

Freshman starter Seth Romero pitched a dynamite game for the Cougars against UL-Lafayette, going 8.0 innings and striking out eight, allowing just one hit on the day. | Brittaney Penney/The Cougar

Freshman starting-pitcher Seth Romero added to his long list of accolades on Monday as he was named to yet another First-Team All-American team, his third All-American honor of the year.

Following a stand-out freshman campaign for the Cougars, starting pitcher Seth Romero added to his growing list of accolades as he was named to the Freshman All-American Team by D1Baseball.com..

This is Romero’s second First Team All-American selection and third overall, having also been named to the Louisville Slugger/Collegiate Baseball team, as well as the Baseball America team.

Romero appeared in 22 games for the Cougars, going 7-4 overall with just eight starts, while also recording 7 saves, helping him to earn both Conference Freshman of the Year and a Second-Team All-Conference nod.

During his freshman season, Romero held a league-best 1.94 ERA over 83.1 innings, recording 92 strikeouts, second highest on the team.

During the post-season, the freshman again showed poise and skill, as he threw eight innings of one-hit baseball against UL-Lafayette, the eventual regional winner, which earned him a spot on the All-Houston Regional team.

Romero earned another national honor when he was invited to join USA Baseball’s Collegiate National Team for their summer training camp.

Following his busy summer, Romero will return to Houston in the fall to prepare for the upcoming season with the Cougars.