Commentary Sports

Round table: Assessing UH athletics and its future

While construction continues on the Basketball Development Center, the Board of Regents have recently looked at several plans for either a remodel or complete reconstruction of Hofheinz Pavilion, with more discussion expected at the August 20 meeting. | File photo/The Cougar

In part three of our roundtable discussion series, the sports staff takes a look at the future of a UH landmark, the state of the athletics on a national scale, and the growing sentiment for a move to a new conference.

With the Board of Regents having looking at possible plans for remodel or reconstruction of Hofheinz Pavilion, what do you think is the best solution?

Staff writer Michael Calderon: A complete rebuild is in order for the multi-purpose arena. As a student, I would rather see the funds used to create an innovative, modern building than remodel an outdated stadium. The pavilion was built in 1969 and the Cougar basketball teams need a better home to see the programs grow to the next level, much like the new state-of-the-art TDECU Stadium for the football program.

Staff writer Adam Coleman: I personally think they need to do a major remodel of Hofheinz. When talking with people on campus about basketball, a large number of them were turned off by the state of the gym. With the Sampson era just getting underway and a new football stadium, UH is on the rise with a possible move to the Big 12 – which is just as much a basketball conference as it is football. A new facility is necessary.

Do you expect the athletic administration to change much over the next few years under new Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics Hunter Yurachek?

Yurachek

Yurachek

MC: I don’t expect a lot of change because the university is already on the path of growth. As the entire university, in all aspects—not just athletics, continues to expand towards being a destination school, Yurachek just needs to do more of the same. I believe that the course is now set with better facilities and a better staff leading to better athletes walking in the door.

Staff writer Francisco Casillas: Honestly, I think change might be coming our way. Yurachek was a major piece when it came to recent projects at UH. He served as chair for a committee to oversee the opening of $120 million TDECU Stadium, as well having a hand in securing a 10-year, $15 million naming rights deal. Yurachek also served as the liaison to the architectural design firm on the Cougars’ $25 million basketball development facility and oversaw the development of $1 million in upgrades to the basketball locker rooms in Hofheinz and the Athletics and Alumni Center. That says a lot.

Where do you think Houston athletics currently sits on a national level of competitiveness? 

MC: As it stands now, I think that UH is on the rise in terms of competing with the best in the nation. They may not be a top tier school like Louisiana State University or the University of Oklahoma, but they are certainly able to hold their own as a second-tier school in many sports. I view Cougar athletics as being on par with schools like Wake Forest University, the University of Utah or Northwestern University… at least for now.

AC: Currently, I’d put UH in the higher third tier or lower second. With sports like football and track and field in the second tier and baseball constantly in the first tier, Houston is on the rise. Basketball is a major part of college athletics and they just aren’t there yet. However, when I talked with Sampson, a proven winner, about his vision, he said it won’t be long until they’re in the top-tier conversation.

What do you think of UH’s chance to make a move to the Big 12 amid speculation?

MC: The Big 12 will need to add an additional two teams to their ranks, giving them a pair of six-team divisions. For this reason alone, I think it is not a matter of if they will add them, but when. Given that the city of Houston is one of the biggest markets in the country and that UH is arguably the most successful school in Texas that isn’t – or hasn’t been – in the Big 12, they have to be a favorite candidate.

AC: I still like Houston’s chances of moving to the Big 12 now that it only has 10 teams. I do think they will drop a bit if the NCAA approves the Big 12 to have a conference championship game, even though they only have ten teams. After adding TCU, it only makes sense for Houston to be the next Texas team added. With a national championship-winning coach in Tom Herman, and Kelvin Sampson, a basketball coach who has already had success in the Big 12, I think it will happen within the next few years.