Projecting the tight ends’ role

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_0437

Under the new offensive scheme of Tom Herman, the tight end will be sure to get plenty of work, as they produced over 400 yards and eight touchdowns for the Buckeyes last season.

The last few years the tight end position has had minimal impact on the squads, with few on the roster and very little action on game days.

Look for that to change under Herman; in his offense, the tight end position plays a more important role.

Last year alone, the top three TEs at Ohio State combined for 37 catches, 429 yards and eight touchdowns.

“This year, the tight end position is going to be implemented more in the offense,” said junior TE Corey Manges. “We have a big role in the offense, in the run game and the passing game, making plays and creating open lanes for other receivers to get the ball.”

Headed into the 2015 season, there is not a lot of experience at tight end, but a few young and potentially game-changing players.

Hayden Daniels (6’4”, 215)- The brother of former Houston Texan Pro Bowl-tight end Owen Daniels, Hayden joined the University of Illinois as a three-star recruit at wide receiver but never saw any game action.

After sitting out the 2013 season because of NCAA transfer rules, Daniels appeared in four games for the Coogs last year, but recorded no stats.

Though he lacks experience, the senior was a two-time letter-winner in football, basketball and track while at Naperville Central High School, showing that Daniels has the athleticism to be a receiving threat at the tight end position.

Romello Brooker (6’4”, 210)- The redshirt freshman was named to the Houston Chronicle Houston Top 100 and VYPE Magazine’s 2014 Houston Hot 100 recruits coming out of Alief Taylor High School, where he caught 67 passes for 1,145 yards and 18 TDs his last two years.

Brooker has also shined in big moments when called upon, helping to secure a district title with four touchdown receptions in a win over Hastings.

Best of the Rest:

Sophomore Byron Simpson (6’4”, 240) redshirted in 2013 and appeared in just one game last season, serving as the backup long snapper.

True freshmen Ryan Deshotel (6’4”, 241) and Kobe Idumwonyi (6’2”, 225) both made their all-district first teams in 2014 and all-district second teams in 2013, bringing quality depth to the position.

CORRECTION: The original article said that Corey Manges was injured while being robbed when it should have said he was injured after allegedly kicking in the door to a home in 2012, according to the Rowlett Police Department. Because of this, all mention of Manges has been removed from the article.