‘Dad bod’ helps reshape male body image

vitruvian_dad_Bod

Leah Nash/The Cougar

There are stores that cater to many different body types and styles— especially in women’s fashion. For women who are considered, “plus size,” stores like Torrid and Lane Bryant give women a sense of security and confidence that other stores do not offer.

On the Internet, we see different blogs, Instagram pages and Twitter accounts, that promote confidence to women of diverse body types.

While having confidence in one’s body is a wonderful thing, there is just one thing missing from all of these body campaigns – men.

There is yet to be a campaign or a department store that embraces different body types for men, to help promote confidence and self-esteem. While there are definitely ways to approach this, when searching for male body acceptance, a lot of times you will come up empty-handed.

“Any serious attempt at talking about your insecurities will be met with, ‘just hit the gym’ remarks if you’re a guy,” mechanical engineering junior Isiah Talamantes said. “Most of the time it’s just taken as a joke or blamed on laziness.”

While going to the gym is a great way to have a healthier lifestyle and boost self-esteem, body acceptance isn’t a one size fits all deal.

“I think women should stop putting muscled-up guys on a pedestal and realize that guys have personalities and hearts too,” education sophomore Sabrina Galloway said. “Every body type is attractive, and that goes for men and women; you just need to love you for who you are.”

Whether you are skinny, chubby, a body builder, or any other body type, all men should be admired and looked at for something other than the way they look on the outside. Inner beauty is not just for women, and body acceptance is not just something that women have trouble with.

“I really think that positive body acceptance in males is a topic that isn’t covered enough,”said hotel and restaurant management and anthropology major Ryan Foley. “With males, the issues are normally to look more masculine through facial hair, or having a more muscular physique.”

A huge social media trend emerged that obsesses over the “dad bod,” which compliments and admires men who gained weight and have “beer bellies,” according to a Time article.

As a society, everyone needs to be more accepting of everyone’s bodies and appearances.

We all have struggles, and we all have insecurities. The best way that we can go forward is to start appreciating the differences that we have and loving each other for them.

Opinion columnist Hannah Endicott is an education junior and can be reached at [email protected]