Same-sex marriage ruling brings pride to nation

Embed from Getty Images

In June, the Supreme Court ruled a 5-4 vote that guarantees anyone, regardless of sexual orientation, the right to marry who they love.

The Supreme Court served the United States the perfect cocktail of freedom, unlimited respect and dignity to a community that is often marginalized. Strong on the sweetness, their blend is one that brings pride to the nation.

“The Constitution promises liberty to all within its reach,” Justice Anthony M. Kennedy said for the majority in the historic decision. “A liberty that includes certain specific rights that allow persons, within a lawful realm, to define and express their identity.”

Considering that the United States is a fast-paced nation, allowing same-sex marriage was long overdue.

The ruling was just in time for the LGBTQ community’s biggest event of the year: Pride. Thousands of LGBTQ supporters gathered in observation of their culture and, most importantly, their delight in living a life full of authenticity.

In Houston alone, over 700,000 people showed up for the event.

With the Supreme Court’s ruling, this year’s parade had one extra reason to celebrate.

“The parade is their day to be themselves completely,” said President of the Pride Houston board of directors Frankie Quijano.

As a community that has suffered decades of victimization, shame and social prejudice by the public, this legal win marks a milestone improvement.

Recent polls show that 60 percent of citizens favor same-sex marriage, while 37 percent oppose.

“No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice and family,” Kennedy said in the majority decision. “In forming a marital union, two people become something greater than once they were.”

Still, many oppose marriage equality and some weren’t quick to acknowledge it.

“Marriage is defined by God,” Governor Greg Abbott tweeted. “No man can redefine it. We will defend our religious liberties.”

Freedom, for many, is one of the greatest goals in life. The experience of living in ones truth proves gratifying for those seeking equality and unconditional liberty.

“Today, we can say, in no uncertain terms, that we have made our union a little more perfect,” President Barack Obama said. “When all Americans are treated as equal, we are all more free.”

America has now become a leader, an example, of what a more perfect union should be.

Now, the United States has effectively represents the fundamental values of human rights, imitating that of a country proud of their constituents, regardless of their sexual orientation.

Hopefully, in a couple of years, opposing citizens will realize the magnitude of this event and how it helped the human race move forward, how it will help millions of people live a life full of happiness and more importantly, they will realize the truth: love will always win.

Opinion columnist Sebastian Troitiño is a finance and marketing junior and may be reached at [email protected]