Community mourns loss of former UH staff member

Ted Nance

Ted Nance spent 33 years at UH, working as a sports information director for the Cougars for most of his career. | Courtesy of UH Athletics

The Cougar family is mourning the death of former sports information director Ted Nance.

Nance spent 33 years at Houston, and he witnessed many of the legendary events that helped shape Cougar athletics.

Nance attended UH, studying in the field of Journalism. During his time here, Nance served as the sports editor for The Daily Cougar, as well as the Houstonian Yearbook.

While at Houston, Nance helped to promote Andre Ware during his time with the football team. Ware would go on to win the Heisman Trophy, presented to the top college football player in the country.

Nance worked alongside many of Houston’s greatest coaches, including Bill Yoeman and Guy V. Lewis, who helped to establish Cougar football and basketball on a national stage.

Nance was elected in the College Sports Information Directors of America Hall of Fame after his illustrious career with the Cougars. He was honored with an induction to the University of Houston Athletics Hall of Honor in 2004, 10 years after his retirement.

Nance will be remembered for his influence and helping propel the Cougars to national notoriety in his time here.