Commentary Softball Sports

Talented newcomers look ready to bolster Cougar infield

Softball feature

The Cougars are looking to build on their 28-27 record from last season. Adding some talent to the infield might just do the trick. | File photo/The Cougar

With only one veteran infielder with a previous season at UH, it is hard to tell exactly how the Cougars will fare in the upcoming season. But there are positive aspects that can bring the Cougars success.

The infield players on the UH Softball team are a fresh new group to watch out for as it is made up of three of the eight new members from the 2015 recruiting class.

Junior Savannah Martin – As the only returning infielder, Martin will use her experience to her advantage in the coming season.

Martin started in 20 games out of the 26 she played in last season after transferring in from Galveston Community College.

Martin spent some of her time at third base, but also served as a flex player, moving wherever needed.

At UH, she came in handy defensively as she boasted a a .962 fielding percentage along with 12 putouts and 38 assists.

Previously, Martin had led GCC to a conference championship along with being named first team all conference.

After a season with the Cougars learning the system, she should be looked at to become a leader in the infield.

Sophomore Ally Bessette – Bessette is a transfer from Belmont University, where she started 37 games of the 43 she appeared in.

Bessette had 14 hits, five doubles and 10 RBIs, along with 12 walks.

At Bryan High School, Bessette had a .372 batting average with 43 runs, 56 RBIs, 18 doubles, four triples, six home runs and led her team with a .455 slugging percentage.

She was honored with the Big Stick award and first team All-District senior year, after progressing from second team All-District her junior year.

The Cougars will be looking for some strong offense out of the incoming transfer this season.

Freshmen Sarah DeCarolis and Rachel Hill – The only two incoming freshmen for the infield, both DeCarolis and Hill come in after very successful high school careers.

DeCarolis was First-Team All-District along with All-County and All-State in high school.

During her time at Lufkin High School, Hill helped her team to a 12-1 season. They would go on to win both a district and bi-district championship.

In 2012 and 2013, Hill was on the Second-Team All-District, in 2014 was named to the Academic First-Team All-District and received honors for district academic excellence.

She improved in her senior season and was named District MVP and Academic All-State, with a .515 batting average while slugging 1.015 and had an OPS 1.627.

While they are a young group, they still have room to grow and prosper together as new Cougars.