Sports Women's Basketball

Seniors will be the key for Cougars success

WEB-Catherine-Lara-IMG_9910 Cropped

Senior guard Jessieka Palmer is one of five returning seniors for the Cougars, and led the team with 9.6 points per game last year. Head coach Ronald Hughey will be looking for a similar output from her this season. | Catherine Lara/The Cougar

Veteran leadership is one of the key components of building a productive roster and is one thing the Cougars have a plenty of.

With a roster starring five seniors, four of them returning starters, UH looks primed to build on that leadership and chemistry en route to a successful season.

“This is the most excited I’ve been about a season since I’ve been here,” senior guard Jessieka Palmer said.

With the work being put in this offseason Palmer isn’t the only one who feels excited about this season.

“I know how hard our returning players have worked over the summer, and I trust that each of them will be a much-improved basketball player,” head Coach Ronald Hughey said. “With the work they have put in during the offseason, I expect our team will have a great season.”

Senior forward Tyler Gilbert is coming off her most successful season at UH. Gilbert recorded 7.6 points per game, a team-high 6.2 rebounds per game, and 63 blocked shots, fifth highest in Houston history, and is excited about her final season.

“It’s definitely been a humbling experience,” she said. “I’ve learned lot more about myself and about the culture of the game.”

After starting 20 games last season, Gilbert will be a key piece in helping the Cougars control the boards and create more scoring opportunities.

Palmer was an offensive force for the Cougars last season, leading the team in scoring with 9.6 points per game and reaching double-digits 14 times.

While points are flashy, Palmer knows she needs to keep improving to help the Cougars reach their goals.

“I want to improve on being a leader on and off the floor, leading by example and doing everything I need to do to get some wins,” she said.

With the experience the group has from their time at UH, Gilbert expects great things from this team.

“I feel like we’re going to play great together and that’s something I’m looking forward to,” Gilbert said. “The chemistry has really developed, and we know what everyone does.”

Palmer had similar thoughts on the chemistry between the seniors.

“We’ve been here together and been through so much,” Palmer said. “We’ve walked this journey together and we’re all sisters throughout it.”

While chemistry is important, Palmer understands the role seniors have as being leaders and instilling good habits on the underclassmen on the team.

“I want them to not waste a day and be as mentally as tough as they can,” she said. “The biggest thing I’ve learned it never to waste a day. Being a senior especially, you only have so much time here.”

Palmer and Hughey were again on the same page, realizing the short amount of time the seniors had left at UH.

“Our seniors are committed to winning and excited to leave a positive mark on the record book before they graduate and their careers are over,” Hughey said.

Improving on the court is vital to being successful as an athlete, but being a student-athlete requires more and while at UH Palmer is learning that what you do off the court is just as important as what you do on it.

“I’ve learned that every day you need to be trying to get better both on and off the court, as a player and as a person don’t waste a day.”