Victory day deals strive to create more school pride

$1 victory day deals attract more customers to Shasta’s Cones and More and the SC Games Room with the allure of instilling more school pride. | Brittaney Penney/The Cougar

Every Monday after the football team wins a game, students can enjoy $1 Victory Day deals from Shasta’s Cones and More and reduced bowling prices at the Student Center Games Room.

These offerings serve a dual purpose: attracting business and fostering a sense of Cougar spirit.

The discounted ice cream cones is a challenge for any student to pass up. Marketing freshman Jonathan Roberts-Avalos said he has seen more activity on days after a football game.

“There was a line for (Shasta’s the other day); I think they’re definitely bringing in more business,” Roberts-Avalos said. “(The deals are) a very good marketing strategy.”

The same holds true for the SC Games Room, which offers reduced-prices on bowling, billiards and table tennis.

“Last year it was insane,” pre-business junior and arcade employee Amanda Stiles said. “Not only (students), but we have visitors getting excited about our wins because they get to save money.”

Hotel and restaurant management senior David Dickey enjoys a game of bowling at the student center arcade, which offers reduced pricing when UH wins a football game. | Brittaney Penney/The Cougar

Discounts do more than just satisfy a student’s sweet tooth.

“It does really improve the (student) spirit,” Shasta’s Cones’ employee Sazan Ibrahim said.

Deals help get students invested in the football team’s performance and hyped for games. The promise of discounted sweets and games contribute to the excitement and the football team benefits as well.

“We got a football player the other day, and he was excited (and said) ‘Thank you for doing this. You know, you’re supporting us’,” Ibrahin said.

The deals have been offered for several years now, and they continue to attract and excite students.

“I’m a full supporter of it,” Roberts said. “Me and my girlfriend got to bowl four games, and we only paid $10.”

The victory discounts have proven so popular that students are hoping for even more deals around campus.

“I think if there were more things that were discounted, the amp and excitement of winning and team spirit would just go way up,” English literature student Kathryn Kilburn said.