Sports Volleyball

Cougars extend winning streak to three matches

In their second match of the Flo Hyman Collegiate Cup, the Cougars squared off with Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University Bulldogs.

The Cougars started off their tournament with a win over Nicholls State University Colonels, three sets to none and were looking for a win in front of an electric home crowd.

The Cougars came out strong, controlling the game and playing efficient offense on their way to taking the first set 25-21.

Junior middle blocker Hunter Wise got the offense started early in the first set. A few well-placed kills helped the Cougars maintain their lead.

In the second set, the Cougars had to overcome a couple of deficits and strong runs by the Bulldogs, but were able to take the win 25-22.

Up two sets, the Cougars only needed a win in the third to close out the night.

The third set was another one hard-fought between the two teams, as the Cougars and Bulldogs traded leads a few times.

Despite a late comeback attempt by the Bulldogs, UH managed to seal the game on a service ace from senior middle blocker Courtney Smith, taking the three-set win (25-21, 25-22, 25-21).

With the win, the Cougars improve to nine and two on the season, with a three-game winning streak. They look forward to a match-up with Southeastern Louisiana University on Saturday at 12:30 p.m., their final out-of-conference game of the season.