Sports Volleyball

Cougars win in first game of tournament

Olivia O'Dell WEB (3)

Senior libero Olivia O’Dell led the team from the back line, with 14 digs in the match. | File photo/The Cougar

In their first home action of the season, the Cougars faced off with Nicholls State University Colonels in their first match of the Flo Hyman Collegiate Cup.

In the first set, the Cougars controlled the tempo from the start, jumping out to an early 3-0 lead.

Senior Courtney Smith helped the Cougars on both offense and defense, as UH held the lead through the entire set and took a win in the first frame, 25-16.

In the second set, Houston faced much tougher opposition, as Nicholls State hung in with them every point.

After getting behind early, the Cougars responded, fighting with the Colonels the entire way to a 24-24 tie.

Two points from freshman outside hitter Brookah Palmer helped the Cougars seal the set late, 27-25.

The Cougars entered the third set looking to close out the sweep over the Colonels.

In the third set, the Cougars again got off to a hot start, opening up a 9-3 lead before pushing the gap to 18-12.

Despite a comeback attempt by Nicholls State, UH was able to hold off the opposition and close out the final set, 25-18 for the 3-0 win.

Palmer led the Cougars offensively again with 12 kills on the afternoon, followed closely by junior middle blocker Hunter Wise, who had 10 kills.

Senior libero Olivia O’Dell continued her strong play on the back line, as she had 14 digs and four assists in the match.

With the win, they improve their overall record to 8-2.