Soccer Sports

Senior keeper hopes to build off recent success

Jordan Brown Soccer

Senior goal keeper entered the record books for UH earlier this year, becoming just the seventh Cougars to record 100-plus saves in a career. | Bryce Dodds/The Cougar

After enduring a rough patch at the beginning of the season, the Cougars women’s soccer team has responded well, winning three of their last four games.

Due to better overall play by the team, senior goalkeeper Jordan Brown has been relied upon less in that stretch and remains an integral piece to the team success going forward.

The Cougar got a chance to sit down with Brown to discuss how the team is progressing, her senior year, her personal accomplishments and much more.

The Cougar: How would you assess the season so far?

Jordan Brown: I think we are coming along nicely. Obviously we didn’t start the way we envisioned, but the last few games show the strides we have made. I haven’t really had to make many saves in those games because the defense is keeping the ball up field, the midfielders are maintaining possession and the strikers are putting balls in nets.

TC: As you mentioned, the season didn’t start the way you planned. Is there something specific that has the team performing better lately?

JB: No, just sticking to it. We have a resilient bunch this year, and we don’t let each other get too down on ourselves. The mistakes that were made at the beginning of the season were correctable, and we have done a great job of putting in the work to address them.

TC: Are you satisfied with the amount of work the team has put in this year?

JB: Definitely. The girls are all genuinely invested in getting better. We are prideful, too. We want to walk around campus, have people see our shirts, ask about the team. (We want to) be able to tell them we won this past weekend and that they should come support. We all realize that starts with putting the work in, and the whole team is committed to doing it.

TC: You recently became the seventh Cougar to tally 100 saves. What does it mean to you to be a part of that group?

JB: It’s cool because I have only been here one full year, but it comes with the position. The diving ones are fun and memorable, but I’m just back there doing what my team needs me to do.

TC: Do you feel any added pressure playing in your senior year?

JB: Maybe a little bit, but I wouldn’t call it pressure. Every time I walk off the field after a game the “this is one of the last times” thought does pop in my head, but I just use that to motivate me to make the most of this season. I want to play overseas and play as long as I can. I’m going to play until I’m told I can’t play anymore.