UH named one of the best colleges for better futures

Powerhouse UH | Courtesy of UH

UH hits a new milestone, after receiving their new award for one of the best colleges to create “better futures.” The award highlights the Honors College, which has a student to faculty ratio of 22:1.  | Courtesy of UH

Out of 50 colleges, UH made the cut, being featured in the Princeton Review’s list of Colleges that Create Better Futures.

The Cyvia and Melvyn Wolff Center for Entrepreneurship in the C.T. Bauer College of Business was No. 2 in the Top Entrepreneurial Programs category.

UH can also be found in the Princeton Review’s lists of Best Western Colleges, Colleges That Pay You Back, Green Colleges and Public Schools.

“Simply put, these colleges are stellar at putting the ‘hire’ in ‘higher education,” the book’s author and senior vice president publisher at The Princeton Review Robert Franek said in a UH news release.

“We chose and commend them for the extraordinary opportunities they are giving their students for practical, hands-on learning that complements their academic experiences. These will not only enhance their resumes but also fast-track them for successful careers.”

Being the fourth largest city in the nation, Houston is overflowing with opportunity, and UH is in the center to take advantages of all the opportunities.

“We work closely with key industries in Houston and surrounding areas to give our students access,” Honors College Dean William Monroe said.

“Having that exposure as a student often leads to jobs upon graduation.”

According to Monroe, this title highlights the University’s mission to ensure student success, in terms of careers to choose from.

“In very pragmatic terms, students who attend (UH) get jobs,” said Monroe. “But more importantly, it signals to current and prospective students that at UH they will receive the support and assistance needed, even beyond the classroom, to be competitive in the job market and to ultimately land the job of their choice.”

The book highlights the Honors College student to faculty ratio of 22-to-one. Despite the University’s record-breaking enrollment of 42,738 students this fall, it maintains an individualized learning for each students to mentored and coached.

“For a university of this size and research level, involvement between the faculty and the student body is much closer to what you’d expect for a small liberal arts school,” Simon Bott, UH’s undergraduate chair in the chemistry department and director of the Honors Program in Health Professions, said in the news release.

Staff aren’t just speaking on behalf of students. The title is a great way to show the school is finally getting recognized said biology sophomore Claire Castillo.

“It gives us a personality and speaks highly of our campus community,” Castillo said. “A lot of schools that you would think would be on that list aren’t.”

Even with all the honors and accolades presented to the school as a whole, the mission is to educate each individual.

“We want our students to graduate having the skills necessary to be successful in their area of study, but we also want them to be well read, to care about the conditions of others and to be empowered to influence society and the environment around them,” said Monroe.

“This, we believe, is how we help to create thriving and successful futures for our students.”