Sports Volleyball

Cougars prep for start of conference season against SMU

Houston is preparing to open their conference season against Southern Methodist University and the University of Tulsa, hoping to start their conference season off on the right foot.

Coming off a couple of wins in the Flo Hyman Collegiate Cup, the Cougars will be looking to continue the momentum generated last weekend.

The Cougars currently sit at 10-2 on the season with a pair of preseason tournament wins.

Their first American Athletic Conference match up comes against the SMU Mustangs on Friday evening, followed by a match-up the Tulsa Golden Hurricanes on Sunday afternoon.

Currently, the Mustangs are 10-2 and Tulsa is 5-7 on the season. Both are slated for their first conference games this weekend.

With the hot start to the season, the Cougars have experienced the continued strong play of a couple of reliable returners, as well as a break-out season for one of their freshman.

Senior libero Olivia O’Dell earned AAC Honor Roll designations for the fourth straight week following her strong outings at the Flo Hyman Cup, as well as earning tournament MVP honors.

Freshman outside hitter Brookah Palmer has had an excellent beginning to her career for the Cougars, as she leads the team in total kills with 200.

Palmer is averaging 4.55 kills-per-set for the Cougars, filling the void left following the departure of last year’s senior class.

Palmer was also named to the all-tournament team for the Flo Hyman Cup, and has received all-tournament nods in each of the Cougars pre-season contests.

The Cougars and Mustangs are set to tip off at 7 p.m. on Friday night inside the Athletics and Alumni Center.