Sports Track & Field

Q&A: sprinter reflects on team, goals for the next year

Senior sprinter LeShon Collins has been a keystone for the track and field team, both as an individual sprinter and as a member of the 4×100 meter relay team. With his multiple-conference championship to go along with his All-American status, Collins is preparing himself for a successful season.

The Cougar: You’ve been competitive since day one. What do you feel has been the reason behind your competitive ability?

LeShon Collins: I think my drive, my determination, my demeanor and desire to be great in this sport is what keeps me going athletically. I think that wanting to be trained by the best and wanting to be the best is what drives me to stay here and compete.

TC: How did it feel being named a second team All-American in your freshman season and then again your sophomore year?

LC: I think that was just a testament to my hard work. Ultimately, I wanted to get first team but I just missed it by a spot, so I’m not entirely too mad. It helps me strive to be that first team All-American.

TC: Have you had time to develop any thoughts on the incoming sprinters, such as Gerald Mills and John Lewis III in terms of what they’ll be able to do this year?

LC: I think those guys will be a huge help to the team, not only (in) contributions at conference but (nationally as well). Having all those freshmen helps with depth. It makes the team bigger, and it takes a lot of loads off of the older guys. I think they will be good this year and the next coming years.

TC: Last season was your first indoor season where you didn’t qualify for nationals. Are you willing to explain what exactly happened?

LC: I was going through a bit of change and with Carl (Lewis) coming in the first year last year, he said it takes a year to get used to his process (and) workouts. So, now that I have a year under his regimen, it’s going to help me. I’m better mechanically. (I’m) more technically sound, and I’m more focused on what I need to do now this year.

TC: Everyone from last year’s relay team is returning. If the squad remains intact, what are your thoughts about what the team will accomplish, and is there anyone you think might jump into the squad?

LC: Our squad this year is not going to be the same. Issac (Williams) is more strictly a hurdler now, so he won’t be on that relay again. But I won’t say anybody is going to just jump their way in. Like Carl said, everybody has a fair chance of making it. I’m not even sold that I’m going to make the team, so everybody has to work hard in order to get that spot because no one is permanent on the team.