Commentary Football Sports

Five things to watch heading into Texas State match

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_2307

| Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

As Cougar fans anticipate Saturday’s showdown versus Texas State University, we look at a few things that make this match up intriguing.

The attendance for the game against Texas State University should go up after Houston defeated Louisville. Houston was a big underdog against Louisville, not to mention they played them in Kentucky. With the win, the fan base should increase with the excitement that the team has brought thus far.

Junior corner back Brandon Wilson has made some big plays lately and should be watched closely this weekend. Wilson ran a 100-yard kickoff return for a touchdown, becoming the sixth player in school history to do so since junior wide receiver Demarcus Ayer.

Quarterback Greg Ward Jr. recently moved into the 16th spot in passing yards in Cougar history. With the three touchdowns made against Louisville, Ward equaled a career high he previously set in Houston’s 35-34 win against Pittsburgh at the Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl.

The defense has stepped up when they had to. Against Houston’s defense, Louisville managed to record 70 net yards rushing on 26 attempts, scoring two touchdowns in the process while recording 325 net yards passing with a record of 27 completions in 45 attempts and two interceptions. The Cougars also managed to force four turnovers, two fumbles and two interceptions.

On paper, Texas State seems just a formidable opponent against Houston’s defense — even if their record doesn’t show it. The Bobcats managed to score a total of 281 net rushing yards in 37 attempts. In the end, Texas State scoring an offensive total of 591 yards with zero fumbles.

Although the Bobcats looks strong, it will provide an excitement to the fans as they gets to see the Cougars perform at home as the team tries to stay undefeated.