Why wearing pink isn’t enough for breast cancer

breast cancer

Illustration by Ashley Alexander/The Cougar

From small, pink rhinestone ribbon pins to the heavily-marketed NFL Breast Cancer endorsed merchandise, donors are seeking to support the cause in the most fashionable way possible.

But how far does America go with its price tag on these commodities?

NFLshop.com has sweatshirts with Texans Logos and a pink ribbon that costs a consumer anywhere from $52.95 to $99.95.  For a more frugal donor, AVON 39 Breast Cancer merchandise has low prices ranging from $28 to $60, depending on what type of clothing is purchased.

Many companies like Avon, Susan G. Komen and the NFL capitalize their promotions, claiming to raise money for Breast Cancer research in October, but whether their intentions profit or promote progress is controversial.

It becomes a question of how much companies can swindle the public if they play on their emotions and induce the effects of appearing to provide hefty sums of support to survivors.

Business Insider conducted a study of the contributions made by the NFL in accordance with their Breast Cancer funding and found that only 8 percent of its profits actually went to The American Cancer Society Research foundation.

That is a shockingly low amount considering the marked up price tag on their merchandise.

Consumers need to understand that when considering where to place their dollar support next month, they pay special attention to the labels of Breast Cancer endorsed merchandise.

CharityNavigator.org conducts thorough investigations on companies that are deemed charitable. They breakdown their expenses, profits and actual donation dollars, then they rate them on a scale of stars 1-5.

AVON was rated at two stars with primary revenue of $47.5 million and $39.5 million in expenses; this includes administrative salaries.  Susan G. Komen for the Cure also was rated with two stars. This charity brings in massive total revenue at $228. 3 million but also has $233.8 million worth of expenses; including the modest $200,000  salary of CEO Judith Salerno.

Although these companies are heavyweight champions in advertisement and campaigning, they are deemed less than average in their attempts to provide any real result in research.

Time Magazine recommends these five companies that are making real advancements in the breast cancer fight: Dr. Susan Love Research Foundation, California Breast Cancer Research Program, Young Survival Coalition , National Breast Cancer Coalition Fund and The Pink Fund Inc.

If donating to these organizations doesn’t come with a pretty tangible ribbon, don’t be disappointed; you are donating to give an opportunity in providing prevention, a prospective cure and a little pink promise of faith.

Opinion columnist Phylicia Sneed is an English senior and may be reached [email protected].