Lupe Fiasco, Wale to perform at Homecoming

homecoming poster

| Courtesy of SPB

November will start off with a bang when rappers Lupe Fiasco and Wale perform for this year’s Varsity Red Homecoming event at Hofheinz Pavilion Nov. 6 at 8 p.m.

The roughly three-hour performance had many candidates to deliberate since the summer according to Student Program Board President Melissa Jinks.

“It was a lot of artists that we went through,” Jinks said. “Because of homecoming we wanted to get artists that would attract alumni. We wanted them to be interested in coming (as well as our student community.)”

Fiasco is a Chicago-born rapper, record producer, and entrepreneur who rose to fame in 2006 with after his successful album “Lupe Fiasco’s Food and Liquor,” which received four Grammy Award nominations.

Some of Fiasco’s top hits include “Superstar,” his first top 40 hit on the Billboard Hot 100 and “The Show Goes On,” which has currently more than 72 million views on YouTube.

Olubowale Victor Akintimehin, or Wale, is an American rapper from Washington D.C. who became a prominent artist after his successful “Dig Dug (Shake It)” became a hit back home.

His third studio album “The Gifted” was released in 2013, debuting in first place on the Billboard 200. His mixtape collaborations included Rick Ross, 2 Chainz, Scarface, French Montana, Tiara Thomas, Lightshow and Trinidad James among others.

Tickets will go on sale Monday at 10 a.m and can be purchased at gate 3 of TDECU Stadium or by phone at 832-842-3100.

Bowl seats are $15 and floor seats are $20 for students.

For more information, visit uh.edu/spb or uh.edu/homecoming.