Health

Top things to help you get some shut eye

PRINT-Brittaney-Penney-IMG_0632

We don’t recommend that you sleep like this. | Photo Illustration by Brittaney Penney/The Cougar

Most college students struggle with falling asleep every once in awhile, but there are some very easy things that can help even the most energized night owl stop stressing and start sleeping.

Warm Showers

When your body comes from the warm environment of a shower into the cooler bedroom, your body’s natural science kicks in, causing the body to cool and your metabolic activity to decrease. The cooler you are, the slower your body does important functions, like pump blood and breathe. Warm water slows blood and oxygen flow through your muscles by relaxing and dilating the vessels.

Lavender

In a study by University of Miami School of Medicine’s Tiffany Field, it is cited “to slow down heart rate, slow blood pressure and put you in a parasympathetic state, which is a relaxed state.” Often used as a treatment for insomnia. Can also be mixed with tea to create a potable sleep aid.

Nonfat Popcorn

Unlike its salty brethren, nonfat popcorn brings typtophan to the brain, which in turn produces serotonin, a sleep inducer. Low carb popcorn serves as a great alternative to heavy late-night snacks. Top with spices such as cinnamon or pepper to give your metabolism extra aid!

Sex

In women, following orgasm, the body releases prolactin, which helps induce feelings of relaxation and sleepiness! Also can result in a the decreased production of cortisol, which can lower stress. Increases the release of a chemical called oxytocin, which also helps promote sleep!

Herbal Tea

Chamomile is a traditional remedy to combat insomnia. Valerian, another additive for tea, has been found to serve as another sedative, as well as helps reduce anxiety. Peppermint, another popular tea companion, calms the internal body systems as well as can help to rest your stomach after a late night of debauchery.

So you may be thinking: “Gee! This sounds great! But where do I go for these sleep supplications?” Well, look no further than The Nook! Their own “Sick Tea” mixes Chamomile, Mint, brewed with fresh squeezed lemonade, cayenne, cinnamon and honey for the perfect drink to help your immune system or put you down to bed.