Commentary Football Sports

Five things to look for against Tulsa

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_0262

Texas State quarterback Tyler Jones tries to avoid sophomore defensive lineman Nick Thurman for a loss. | Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

After a successful win against the Texas State Bobcats, the Cougars look forward to the Hurricanes as they visit at the University of Tulsa. Here are five things to keep an eye on during the match up.

The intensity between these two teams is going to be high

This game is the first conference game for both teams. However, the Cougars are not only playing for their first American Athletic Conference win, but also to remain undefeated.

The Hurricane face a defense that held the Bobcats to only 14 points

With senior safety Adrain McDonald and senior linebacker Elandon Roberts leading the defense, the Cougars forced four turnovers for the second straight game as they both led all players with 10 tackles a piece. Senior corner back William Jackson III wasn’t left out, posting a 13-yard fumble return and a 35 yard pick six late in the first half to give the Cougars a 42-7 lead at the break. Tulsa struggled to run the ball against Oklahoma University, as they were only held to 176 net yards rushing, although the passing game was more successful as they scored 427 net yards passing. Houston may have its hands full to stop Tulsa’s passing game, but the defense should hold up in the end.

While the defense may shock you, the offense will definitely amaze you

When the Cougars go on the aerial assault, they can count on junior receiver Demarcus Ayer to make the plays as he was the leading target against Texas State. Ayers caught eight catches for a career high of 126 yards and two touchdowns. Ayers also broke off a career-long 53-yard run early in the fourth quarter.

Although Houston’s running backs can haul the load, Greg Ward Jr. isn’t afraid to use his legs as well

The Tyler native had the best night of his collegiate career as he threw 274 yards for four touchdowns and had a game high of 91 rushing yards in 10 carries that coupled with a pair of touchdowns as well.

One thing is certain, there will explosiveness from both sides of the ball

After becoming the second coach in the University’s history to go 3-0, Tom Herman is a man on a mission as he pushes his players to give it their best. Herman’s players have been on the same page with him so far, and it will be interesting to see if they stay consistent throughout the season.