Basketball development center to be named after Guy V. Lewis

Development Facility WEB 7

The basketball development facility will be named after Guy V. Lewis after an anonymous group of donors purchased the naming rights. | File photo/The Cougar

The UH athletic department announced Tuesday that the soon to be completed basketball development facility will be named after legendary Cougar basketball coach Guy V. Lewis.

The naming rights were purchased by a group of donors, who remain anonymous, and the movement to name the facility after the Lewis was approved by the UH Board of Regents.

“University of Houston Basketball has no finer representative than Coach Guy V. Lewis,” Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics Hunter Yurachek said in a news release today. “For nearly 40 years, coach Lewis established Houston as one of the premier programs in the nation, and we are grateful for the support of our donors who recognize his rich legacy and made this possible.”

Lewis took over as head coach at UH in 1956, and over the next 30 years, ammassed a record of 592-279.

He was at the helm for some of Houston’s greatest achievements, including five NCAA Final Four appearances, six Southwest Conference championships and 17 appearances in the post-season.

Lewis also coached many notable UH legends, including Clyde Drexler, Hakeem Olajuwon and many other members of the Phi Slama Jama teams, UH’s high-flying basketball fraternity