Commentary Sports

The Opposition: SMU vs Houston

Pressure from UH’s front seven forced SMU quarterback Neal Burcham to make quick decisions and allowed the defense to take advantage with three interceptions at Reliant Stadium on Friday. The Cougars’ defense shut out the Mustangs en route to a 34-0 victory. | Caitlin Hilton/The Daily Cougar

SMU quarterback Neal Burcham is pressured by Houston’s defense at Reliant Stadium in 2013. | File photo/The Cougar

EDITOR’S NOTE: The Cougar asked The Daily Campus’ sports editor Brian O’Donnell to write about the matchup against Houston. Here’s what he had to say.

Tonight’s matchup between Houston and Southern Methodist University is an important game for both teams. Houston is coming off of a 38-24 conference win against Tulsa while the Mustangs are looking to recover from a 49-23 conference loss to East Carolina.

Late last season, the Cougars defeated SMU 35-9 in route to an 8-5 record and a bowl win.  For SMU, last year’s loss came as no surprise to a team that started the season 0-11 and barely got a win in the final game.

Houston has started this year strong with wins over Tennessee Tech, Louisville, Texas State and Tulsa.  The Cougars enter this week with a 4-0 record, having received votes for the top 25 rankings.  They rank No. 4 in total offense in the nation, racking up 6.97 yards per play and No. 8 in rushing defense, giving up only 2.45 yards per attempt.

Houston’s coach Tom Herman highlighted the game’s importance.

“For us, this is a really big game because we run into these guys in just about everything we do from exposure, to media market, to you name it,” Herman said. “We want to make sure we have bragging rights for the entire year in the great state of Texas.”

SMU did not begin the season the way it would have liked and has just as much at stake.  After losses to two top 5 teams and a win over North Texas in between, the Mustangs were where they were expected to be.

There was excitement around the program after giving TCU a scare and playing Baylor tightly in the first half, scoring 58 points just one year after being shut out by both teams.  However, a last minute loss to FCS opponent James Madison ruined the mood on the Hilltop.  Last week’s blown 23-7 lead only added to the disappointment.

The team is led by junior Matt Davis.  He is a dual-threat quarterback but head coach Chad Morris has tried to protect him from injury by using him less in the run game.

He remains SMU’s leading rusher and has accounted for six touchdowns on the ground to go along with eight through the air. The offense is much improved under Morris’ direction, scoring more points this season than all of last year.

The defense remains the team’s weakest link.  It has given up nearly 600 yards per game, including more than 700 yards three times.  The rush defense has been manhandled at times and the secondary is prone to giving up deep passing plays in the middle of the field.

The Mustangs (1-4) seem dangerously close to a tipping point.  Though they have looked better than last season, the losses are piling up.  They will need an unlikely win over Houston to get their season back on track and revive some hope of progress.

Houston needs to take care of business if they hope to break into the top 25.

• H-Town vs Big D and bragging rights in State of Texas. UH always wants to beat a Dallas area team because in general sports folks/fans in DFW area believe high school, college and pro football teams are far superior to Houston area so Coogs need to send a message about our domination of SMU in football. With a win UH will go to 20-10-1 in the rivalry and stay in the running for a NY6 Bowl game.

FYI, Over the years SMU and UH have had over 140 players each drafted in the NFL; UH has 12 first rounders and SMU 7; UH has been to 23 bowl games compared to SMU at 15. …………..GO COOGS…

Also Big night of sports on national TV…Astros playing at Royals; Indy playing Texans and SMU at UH, al games on national TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We will have a small party of football fans at our house watching/rooting for the Coogs while large screen tv will be showing astros and texans!!!…