What to watch for: Astros continue in postseason, UH looks to continue strong play

With Major League Baseball heading into their playoffs, college football kicking into full gear and a string of important matches across the soccer world, there’s a lot going on. It can be hard to keep track of, but The Cougar is here to help.

LSU v. South Carolina

After major floods rocked South Carolina this week, Louisiana State University and University of South Carolina football game will take place in Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge, La on Saturday.

Out of good sportsmanship, LSU’s athletic director agreed to treat the match as a home game for the Gamecocks, including having South Carolina wear home game jerseys and the LSU band learning the South Carolina fight songs.  — Jesse Atkinson

Astros v. Royals

While everyone is in college football mode, you don’t want to miss out on watching the Houston Astros battling in the MLB playoffs for the first time since 2005.

Winning the Wild Card game against the New York Yankees 3-0, the Astros moved on to a five-game series against the Kansas City Royals.

The series started on Thursday and the Astros took a 1-0 lead in the series. Game two on Friday ended 5-4 in favor of the Royals, tying up the series. 

The Astros and the Royals meet up again on Sunday in Houston. — Bailee Logsdon

Cubs v. Cardinals

The Chicago Cubs and St. Louis Cardinals met for game one of the National League Division Series Friday night and the Cardinals triumphed sweeping over the Cubs 4-0.

These teams have no love lost for each other after a game last month where both managers and two relief pitchers were ejected after an on-field feud erupted.

The Cubs have been in the Cardinals’ shadow for the last decade, but the Cubs are on the rise with the talent of young and upcoming players. They meet again in St. Louis on Saturday. — David Artis

U.S. v. Mexico

The United States and Mexican soccer teams will be competing for a spot in the Confederations Cup on Saturday in Pasadena, Calif.

Although Mexico seems to be better equipped than the U.S., El Tri has lost the last six matches against the United States.

Both countries are going to fight their hardest for the North American crown and a place in the prestigious tournament, which already includes Germany and Chile. — Henry Garcia

UH v. East Carolina

The football team isn’t the only UH team winning this season.

Women’s volleyball is now 14-3 overall and 4-1 in the American Athletic Conference after defeating Tulane University on Wednesday.

Senior libero Olivia O’Dell set a school record and a career high of 47 digs in a match.

The team will play a road game at the East Carolina University on Sunday at 12 p.m. CDT. — Latasha Jones