SGA enacts student task force to enhance civil involvement, engagement

The Student Government Association enacted the Student Task Force on Civic Engagement to recruit and engage students in the political debate that will serve as a spotlight for the University following the announcement that UH will host the last Republican presidential debate on Feb. 26.
“The Task Force that we’ve created is a vehicle for students to demonstrate our level of diversity and innovation to the international audience in February,” SGA President Shaun Theriot-Smith said.
“It is important for us to capitalize on the energy surrounding this debate and translate that into increased voter registration and involvement within our student body.”
The task force will be working directly with the Office of Governmental and Community Relations and will focus on “creative ways to enhance the student body’s civic involvement and engagement, especially outreach that helps create a more informed and empowered campus electorate.”
“A primary focus will be centered around deputy voter registrar training and voter registration, but we also expect to find common ways to highlight the many political and social voices on campus in a fun and engaged way,” Theriot-Smith said. “The University is eager to show off its students to the nation and, frankly, the student body deserves it.”
Students interested in participating in debate events and outreach are encouraged to email the SGA Director of External Affairs Joshua Freed.