Commentary Football Sports

Things to look for ahead of Tulane matchup

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_4535

The Cougars defeated SMU 49-28 Oct. 8 to remain undefeated (5-0). | Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

The No.24 Houston Cougars (5-0) enter this week’s game against Tulane University (2-3) after cruising to a comfortable win against Southern Methodist University last week. These are factors to look for as they take on the Green Wave who were crushed by Temple University in a 49-10 loss last week.

With injuries to the offensive line, how will they affect UH’s potent offensive attack?

Senior offensive lineman Damien Parris should be able to fill the void at right tackle while senior offensive lineman Alex Cooper will fill in at the right tackle position. Tulane’s defense is mediocre but, their pass rush is somewhat disruptive, led by Royce LaFrance who racked up three sacks in an earlier game against the University of Central Florida.

The Green Wave’s front four could cause problems for the Cougars’ offensive line. Anytime you’re missing three starters on the offensive line, it is an area of concern.

With UH being ranked in the AP Poll for the first time in four years will UH’s focus be there for their game against Tulane?

Tulane (2-6) managed to upset the Cougars (5-3) at last year’s homecoming game, while looking to become bowl-eligible. The motivation should be there, however, it will be interesting to see whether the distractions of making it into the AP top 25 affects the teams play.

The offense has been unstoppable to this point and the Cougars have yet to be held under 34 points in 2015. The defense has also forced a total of 14 turnovers. The Green Wave don’t look like they will provide much resistance but you never know with this team as they proved that in last season’s win.

Will the defense be able to contain Tulane quarterback Devin Powell after having trouble stopping SMU quarterback Matt Davis last week?

Powell is filling in for quarterback Tanner Lee who has been ruled out of Friday’s game with a concussion. Powell is a pro-style quarterback who is big and physical with the ability to pull it down and run or stretch the play and find target wide receivers Teddy Veal and Devon Breaux.

If UH has a weakness it’s the defensive exterior as they allowed Davis to get off to hot start in the first half of last weeks game. The defense ended up surrendering 399-yards but managed to force four turnovers’ that proved to be detrimental.